I was watching Instagram stories, and @thesisterstudioig made fried pickles in the air fryer, and I couldn’t stop craving them! When you’re gluten free, you can’t just go to a restaurant and order the fried pickles appetizer, which is a total bummer! But now we have this delicious recipe to turn to every time we get a craving, and that’s why I spend my time in my kitchen: to create gluten free versions of my favorite foods to share with all of you! And better yet, these pickles are air fried, so they’re a lot healthier and lower in fat!
The secret to making these pickles taste delicious is the buttermilk and hot sauce mixture…my mouth is watering just thinking about it! And the breading is deliciously crispy and flavorful. Pair them with my homemade ranch dressing, and you’ll have a gluten free appetizer the whole family will love!
I recently visited my family in Kentucky and made these air fried pickles for them. First, they had no idea they were gluten free. Second, they couldn’t stop raving about the ranch dressing. And third, they asked me to make more! When I asked if they thought they were blog-worthy, the answer was a unanimous yes!
So let’s get to the recipe!
First, you’ll want to take your pickle chips and pat them dry with a paper towel. Next, you’ll dip them in a mixture of buttermilk and hot sauce. Then, you’ll coat them with the breading, making sure they are thoroughly covered. Once you have the pickle chips breaded, you’ll put them in the air fryer basket and spray with oil. Cook them at 400 degrees for 5 minutes, then flip them and spray the other side, and cook for the remaining 5 minutes. Serve with homemade ranch dressing and voila!
Gluten Free Air Fried Pickles
- 1 cup gluten free flour King Arthur Measure for Measure is my all time fave!
- ¼ cup gluten free cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- splash hot sauce
- 34 pickle chips
- avocado or olive oil spray
- In a small bowl, mix buttermilk and hot sauce together
- In a separate bowl, add flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and stir to combine
- Pat pickle chips dry with a paper towel
- Dip dry pickle chips into buttermilk mixture and then in flour mixture, making sure to coat thoroughly
- Place breaded pickle chips in air fryer basket and spray with oil
- “Fry” at 400 degrees for 5 mintues, flip and spray with oil, cook an additional 5 minutes
- Serve with homemade ranch dressing (linked in notes and above)