Pesto is delicious alone, but add it to an Alfredo and you have a sauce that is simply magical! And that is exactly what this Creamy Pesto with Italian Sausage is: magical!
I made this meal for my husband shortly after we started dating, and he was wowed. The Alfredo with pesto mixed in and Italian sausage are a marriage of flavors you have to taste to understand. So let's get to the good part: the RECIPE!
Creamy Pesto Sauce
Here's what you'll need to make this delicious sauce: 2 cups Alfredo, 1 cup pesto. You can take shortcuts if you're pressed for time and use the jarred stuff, but this Alfredo recipe is super easy to make and tastes better than any jar you can buy.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp butter
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pesto (use one from a jar or make this easy recipe)
Hot Italian Sausage is my favorite for this recipe, but sweet and mild taste great as well! Slice your sausage links on a diagonal and add them to a skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until cooked through, flipping every 3-4 minutes.
The sausage and sauce are best served over a bed of cooked noodles, and your options here are plenty! Just cook them according to package directions for best results.
Low Carb Options: (all are also gluten free)
Gluten Free Options: (review my gluten free pasta guide for tried and true recommendations)
- Barilla gluten free fettuccine
- Barilla gluten free spaghetti
- Barilla gluten free penne
- Barilla gluten free rotini
- Barilla gluten free elbows
- Barilla red lentil penne
- Barilla red lentil rotini
- Barilla chickpea rotini
- Barilla red lentil spaghetti
- Tinkyada organic brown rice spirals
Creamy Pesto with Italian Sausage (GF, Low Carb Option)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup pesto from a jar or homemade (link to recipe above)
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 8 ounces cooked noodles see options above
- Cook noodles according to package directions
- Slice sausage links on a diagonal and add them to a skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until cooked through, flipping every 3-4 minutes.
- Add butter to medium saucepan and turn heat to medium-high
- As butter is melting, stir in heavy cream, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese
- Add minced garlic and stir to combine
- Continue stirring sauce until it starts to thicken and stick to the back of your spoon
- Stir in pesto until combined
- You can mix the sauce and noodles or serve the sauce over the noodles and then add the sausage. Both ways taste great!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases