This might be the easiest breakfast you ever make! A few weeks ago we picked up some French toast sticks in the freezer section at the grocery for the kiddo...he loves them! Making them for breakfast for him has had me craving French toast like crazy, so I decided to make some! It was super simple, filling, and delicious!
Here's what you'll need:
- Gluten free bread
- Heavy cream, ½ and ½, or milk of your choice
- Vanilla extract
For the Gluten Free bread, you can really use any brand you want, even the dense ones you wouldn't use for a sandwich. Ener-G even makes a gluten free Texas toast that is sold in the gluten free aisle at some grocery stores that would be perfect for this meal! I usually just use Udi's multi-grain because that's what I keep in my freezer. If using a frozen gluten free bread, sit the number of slices you need out on the counter for about 15 minutes to thaw or pop in the microwave for about 15 seconds before dipping in the egg mixture.
For the egg mixture, you'll need one egg, ¼ cup heavy cream or milk, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and a pinch of salt for every 4 slices of bread. Add the ingredients to a shallow bowl and whisk together. Then dip each slice of bread into the mixture, making sure the entire slice is well-coated. Heat a griddle or large skillet to medium heat and spray with oil (I use olive or avocado), and cook the bread on each side for about 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Add a little butter and a drizzle of pure maple syrup for a delicious and simple gluten free breakfast!
Gluten Free French Toast
- 4 slices Gluten Free Bread if using frozen bread, thaw first (see notes above)
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup heavy cream or milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Heat griddle or skillet to medium high heat and spray with oil
- Whisk together egg, heavy cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt, and add to a shallow bowl
- Dip each slice of bread into the mixture until well-coated
- Cook on each side for about 1-2 mintues, until golden brown
- Serve with maple syrup, fruit, whipped cream, powder sugar, etc...and enjoy!